Filing a petition for your parents

As a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old, you can petition for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders. To petition for your parents (mother or father), you will file the following documents with United States Citizen and Immigration Services:

· A completed and signed Form 1-130.

· A copy

of your Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport if you were not born in the United States.

· A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and the names of both parents.

· A copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or U.S. passport if you were not born in the United States.

· A copy of your parents’ civil marriage certificate.

·If you are an adopted child, you will need a certified copy of the adoption certificate showing that the adoption took place before your 16th birthday.

When USCIS approves the application, it will send you a notice and then forward the case to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing, if your beneficiary parent is residing abroad. Your will parent(s) will be required to provide more documentation, attend medical examination. Thereafter, they will attend an interview at the U.S. consulate in your country. A visa will be issued if the interview goes well. They will receive a passport stamp upon arrival in the United States. This stamp will prove that they are allowed to work in the United States until their Permanent Resident Card is received.

If your parent is currently in the United States, he or she may be eligible to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, at the same time as you file Form I-130. They are eligible to apply for employment and travel authorization while their case is pending. Some common problems associated with parental filings are incomplete application /petition, illegal entry, missing 1-94 cards criminal issues and fake documentation. Under certain circumstances, some of the problems can be addressed.

The content of this article is intended for general information purposes only, and is not legal advice. Those seeking specific legal advice should contact Gertrude Onuoha Esq. at 575 Lexington Avenue, 4th Fl. NY NY 10022 (Phone: 212-971-9704 or 732-642-5605)