You may have money and not know it

You may have money and not know it!


I think I had a bank account opened in my name many years ago. How can I find it and if I have money I don’t know about.


You can search for unclaimed money through the NYS Comptroller’s office.

Visit their website: to search or call them at 1-800-221-9311, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; email, or

You may also write to: the office at, org.

The State Comptroller’s Office of Unclaimed Funds, 110 State St., Albany, New York 12236

If your name shows there is unclaimed money you will have to prove you are the owner. The claim requirements varies based on type of account. A signature, social security number, and proof of connection with both the account and the address of record are generally required. There is no fee for claiming money, remember it is yours.

Here are some tips from the NYS Comptroller’s office to keep your money from ever being turned over to the state as lost money.

•Keep your accounts active. More than half of unclaimed accounts are dormant savings accounts — accounts that have had no activity for five years. Make a small deposit or withdrawal every year.

•Cash all checks promptly for utility deposits, dividends, insurance premiums, wages and any other refunds you received.

•Keep accurate financial records. Record all bank accounts, stock certificates, insurance policies, utility and rent deposits, and your safe deposit number.

•Notify all your financial institutions when you move.

•Tell a family member or trusted friend or advisor where you store your financial records.

Source: Office of NYS Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli

This information is for educational purposes only. Always seek a trusted attorney and/or U.S. HUD-approved counselor for all major housing transactions call (800) 569-4287 or visiting to locate one.